DENVER – The No. 57 ranked Denver men’s tennis team defeated No. 49 ranked Brigham Young University after taking four of six singles matches to three sets on Saturday.
“It was a great win for our team today,” head coach Danny Westerman said. “Our guys are always excited to play BYU and other Mountain Region teams, so it was great to come out with a win.”
The Pioneers started the day off right, sweeping all three doubles matches. No. 2 pair Alex Gasson (Alton, U.K.) and Yannik James (St. Georges, Granada) won the first doubles match, beating Robin Pfister and Jeremy Bourgeois 6-0. Next, No. 1 duo Henry Craig (Murrieta, Calif.) and Diogo Rocha (Lisbon, Portugal) edged out Francis Sargeant and Sterling Galli 6-2, solidifying the doubles point for Denver. Playing out their match, No. 3 doubles team Fabio Biasion (Velbert, Germany) and Alex Clinkenbeard (Loveland, Colo.) defeated Matthew Pearce and Andrey Goryachkov 5-3.
Singles play proved to be a tougher challenge for DU. No. 6 flight freshmen Aidan Talcott (Sea Cliff, N.Y.) claimed the first singles point of the day as he came out victorious over Aidan Carrazedo 6-1, 6-3. Playing in the No. 4 spot, James came away with the second win, beating Jeremy Bourgeois 6-5, 6-3. Clinkenbeard clinched the winning point for the Pioneers. The senior battled through three sets to triumph over Matthew Pearce 1-6, 6-1, 6-4.
Posting the final Denver win of the day was Rocha who also played through three sets to defeat Robin Pfister 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.
The University of Denver men’s tennis team next travels to Nebraska to face the No. 60 ranked University of Nebraska on Feb. 8 at 12 p.m. MT and its first conference competition, Omaha on Feb. 9 at 12 p.m. MT.
Denver Vs. Brigham Young
#54 Denver 5, #49 Brigham Young 2
CAC-Monaco, Denver, Colo.
Saturday, February 1, 2014
1. SARGEANT, Francis (BYU) def. #86 Henry Craig (DU) 6-4 (13-15), 5-6, 10-7
2. GORYACHKOV, Andrey (BYU) def. Alex Gasson (DU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Diogo Rocha (DU) def. PFISTER, Robin (BYU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Yannik James (DU) def. BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) 6-5, 6-3
5. Alex Clinkenbeard (DU) def. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Aidan Talcott (DU) def. CARRAZEDO, Aidan (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Henry Craig/Diogo Rocha (DU) def. SARGEANT, Francis/GALLI, Sterling (BYU) 6-2
2. Alex Gasson/Yannik James (DU) def. PFISTER, Robin/BOURGEOIS, Jeremy (BYU) 6-0
3. Fabio Biasion/Alex Clinkenbeard (DU) def. PEARCE, Matthew/GORYACHKOV, Andrey (BYU) 5-3
Brigham Young 4-3; National ranking #49
Denver 2-1; National ranking #54
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,4,5,2,1,3)
-EXPERIENCE DENVER ATHLETICS-
DenverPioneers.com for complete coverage of all 17 of DU's NCAA Division I sports.
Follow DU men’s tennis on the web at www.DenverPioneers.com
Follow DU men’s tennis on Twitter at @DU_MTennis
Become a fan of the Denver Pioneers on Facebook