Feb. 13, 2015
DENVER - The No. 64 University of Denver women's tennis team (2-2) handed the Wyoming Cowgirls (2-3) their first home loss since 2012 on Friday. The Pioneers notched their second victory of the season, 4-3.
Denver took it to the Cowgirls early, earning their second doubles point in as many matches. Senior Michelle Garpenlov and sophomore Morgan Barnhill kicked off the match with a, 6-1 victory over Zhelyazkova/Jonas. Sophomore Maureen Slattery and freshman Julia O'Loughlin clinched the doubles point for the Pioneers with a, 6-3 win on court two over Espinosa/Gecheva. The Pioneers would complete the clean sweep with a win on court one by the duo of sophomore Sonja Radosevic and freshman Gracia Mboko, 7-5 over Parizher/Stencel.
"The doubles point is so important in every match," said Head Coach Christian Thompson. "Our extra time in practice working on it has been paying off."
Wyoming would not go down easily as they would claim victories on courts three, four, and six. The Pioneers would grab the second point of the match when Radosevic would sweep Nastya Tokareva, 6-4, 6-2. Then Slattery would make it, 3-0 Denver by defeating Stencel, 6-3, 6-2. O'Loughlin would clinch for the Pioneers with a hard fought, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 victory on court five.
"We competed hard in the singles and had to overcome some tough situations," said Thompson. "Julia had a great win at 5 singles to clinch the match for us today."
Denver will return home for their second match of the weekend against No. 63 New Mexico on Saturday February 14, at 4 p.m. MT in the Colorado Athletic Club on Monaco.
#64 Denver 4, Wyoming 3
1. Mboko/Radosevic (DU) def. Parizher/Stencel (WY), 7-5
2. O'Loughlin/Slattery (DU) def. Alma Espinosa/Gecheva (WY), 6-3
3. Morgan Barnhill/Michelle Garpenlov (DU) def. Zhelyazkova/Jonas (WY), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Maureen Slattery (DU) def. Magdalena Stencel (WY), 6-3, 6-2
2. Sonja Radosevic (DU) def. Nastya Tokareva (WY), 6-4, 6-2
3. Dorottya Jonas (WY) def. Gracia Mboko (DU), 6-7, 6-1, 5-5 (ret.)
4. Jessica Parizher (WY) def. Evy Van Genechten (DU), 7-5, 6-2
5. Julia O'Loughlin (DU) def. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WY), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
6. Christa Gecheva (WY) def. Charlotte Derbyshire (DU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 5, 6
- JOIN THE DENVER PIONEER NATION -
Visit DenverPioneers.comfor complete coverage of all 17 of DU's NCAA Division I sports.
Like Denver Pioneersand Denver Women's Tennison Facebook
Follow @DU_Pioneersand @DU_WTennison Twitter